A Staff Devotional for the 2010 Conference Team

Friday, June 25, 2010

Psst.

I hate some of the things I’ve done in life; I just hate them. I’ve done stupid things, selfish ones, malicious things, and greedy ones. And so have you. I have proof. Proof which will blow your cover for good and, with what you’ve done, you’ll never be able to live it down, publicly recover, or ever be able to pretend to have a flawless past, unbesmirched of your own shameful deeds.

You are exposed. We all know what you’ve done.

What’s your internal reaction to this? If you had none, imagine this scenario:

You are at a family wedding - your own. The ceremony is over and you’re at your special table in the reception hall filled with your life’s most significant people. You are content and overjoyed, awash in the elation of the day and its company. Your jokes are funny, all the food good, the music - either comical or fitting - transitions the night perfectly and, for the briefest of moments you toy with the thought that you may be experiencing a crumb from heaven’s table. “Feel this,” you tell yourself, “Ponder it in your heart and treasure it there like a gold-banded tribute to the joy of this new bond. Remember this.” Your eyes are closed in contented rapture and your smile, impossible to hide.

Your phone buzzes, alerting you of a text, “I know all of it that you’ve done. Every shameful thing in life your responsible for doing and the whole room is about to be let it on it and find out how bad you can get, deep down.” As you read in shock, the author approaches the toasting mic with drink in hand. There’s no time. He starts to speak.

Now, what is your reaction? Try to put yourself in these shoes, to feel your stomach fall out, straight to the bottom. What is your reaction to the room hearing how dark you can be, deep down.

If the first reaction is panic, mine too. But whatever your first reaction would be to the exposure of your worst thoughts and deeds to your most significant people, what does it tell you?

  1. Does it show you secretly feel a need for others to affirm you for you to feel worth something?
  2. Does it show that you know the value of a good reputation and hate to lose it?
  3. Does it mean that you know that, regardless of how you feel about these things, you anticipate a lot of headache?
  4. A combination of the above?

Think about that for a moment, maybe all day. What does this tell you about yourself? Also, what does the gospel have to say to both the situation and your reaction?


Let me suggest one perspective on the way the gospel works in situations like this. My discipler in college is and was an itinerant speaker. At one conference, a somewhat corrosive young man approached him and asked, “I have it on good authority that you’ve done these bad things (listed them) in your past and I’m prepared to tell this entire room (of 400 people). What are you going to do about it?” Without a moment’s pause he approached the microphone and got the room’s attention, “Excuse me, excuse me everyone. This man here is prepared to tell you some bad things I’ve done. I’m going to give him the microphone and, when he’s finished, I’ll take it bad and fill in any he left out.” With that, he offered the floor to his accuser. Refusing, the man whispered, “You’re crazy!” My discipler, with stampede in his eyes, responded, “No! I’m free. I’m free and I won’t be blackmailed by sin.”

Resolve in your heart that you won’t, either. But, to make it more than just a hopeful wish, think back again to your past sins being exposed for all to see and ask yourself, “What does the gospel have to say to this?” It’s one of the best questions you’ll encounter.

No comments:

Post a Comment